Welcome to the 2012-2013 School Year with eMINTS! The Weekly Update feature resumes beginning today. Updates are published weekly on Mondays except for holidays.
eLearning for Educators: Fall registration is now open until Wednesday, Sept. 19. The Fall 2012 semester is from Oct. 3 – Nov. 20, 2012. Courses cost $150 per course. Optional Graduate Credit is available at an additional fee of $100 per credit hour through the University of Missouri-Kansas City or University of Missouri-St. Louis. A limited number of scholarships are available. You can even apply for a scholarship that reduces the cost of an e-Learning course to $75 by filling out an online form. Scholarships are limited to one per applicant. Limit 3 scholarships per one district. There are three NEW course offerings this semester:
- Thinking Critically with Data (all)
- Going Mobile K-12: Capturing the Power of Smart Phones, Tablets, Apps and More (all)
- Flipped, Upside-down and Blended Instruction for the K-12 Classrooms (all)
- Some of the additional courses available for the Fall 2012 semester are:
- Algebraic Thinking in the Elementary School (elementary)
- Beyond Your Schoolyard: An Intro to GPS, Geocaching and Google Earth (all)
- Classroom Management (all)
- Differentiating Instruction: Empowering All Learners (all)
- Early Childhood: Creating a Language-Rich Environment (early childhood)
- Google Tools for Schools (all)
- Heart of Science Instruction (secondary science)
- Improving Reading and Writing in the Content Areas (secondary)
- Instructional Approaches for Teachers of English Language Learners (all)
- Leading Schools in a Web 2.0 World (administrators)
- Special Students in Regular Classrooms: Technology, Teaching and Universal Design (all)
- Teaching Writing in the Elementary Classroom (elementary)
To see the complete list of courses offered this semester, go to: http://www.elearningmo.org/register/fall-2012/.
Share the Good News: Do you have something special to report about your school or classroom? An honor or award that has been presented? Share the good news with your eMINTS colleagues across the US and world by sending details about the good news to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New eThemes for the Week of August 13, 2012:
- Africa: National Parks – These sites are about Africa’s National Parks. Learn about the animals, the climate, and the purposes behind why National Parks play an important role in Africa. Includes a link to an eThemes resource on the continent of Africa.
- Circus Acts and Animals – These sites focus on circus animals, acts, and performers. There is historical information about circuses, plus photographs, audio files, and video clips.
- Teaching Tips: “7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens” by Sean Covey – These websites are about Sean Covey’s “7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens.” There are summaries of the habits, as well as advice and lesson plans for incorporating the 7 Habits into the daily lives of teens. Includes a link to eThemes resource, Goal Setting.
Updated eThemes for the week of August 13, 2012:
- Literature: “Dear Mr. Henshaw” by Beverly Cleary -These sites are about the book “Dear Mr. Henshaw” by Beverly Cleary. There are several hands-on classroom activities including how to make a lunch box alarm. Students can take online quizzes over vocabulary and events from the book. Includes eThemes Resources on Beverly Cleary and letter writing.
- Literature: “The Monkey’s Paw” by W.W. Jacobs – These sites are about the short story “The Monkey’s Paw” by W.W. Jacobs. Includes full text of the story, quizzes, lesson plans, and vocabulary worksheets. There are also links to games about short story elements and a booklist of other horror stories and books. Includes links to eTheme resources on Story Elements and Character Traits.
Become a Blog Contributor: Share your insights and thoughts with eMINTS blog followers and fans. Contribute to the blog and community learning by submitting a blog post, resource link, online tool or teaching tip.
Monica Beglau is the Executive Director of the eMINTS National Center.