I don’t know if any of you have had the chance to look at Big Huge Labs before, but it is well worth the visit. This is a Flickr site so it is image based but as I look at some of the “toys” they provide, I think what a cool way for students to demonstrate their understanding, for example, during the “Explain” portion of an inquiry lesson.
Here are a few of their “toys” and ideas I came up with…
- Trading Card – Provide information about an individual, concept, or new vocabulary word.
- Badge Maker – Create a badge about a book character, historical figure, or even maybe a character trait.
- Movie Poster – Great way to review a book.
- Magazine Cover – Think about highlighting a concept by providing a magazine cover devoted totally to it.
- Motivator – Another way to do vocabulary, concepts, or character traits.
- Map Maker – Chart the path of explorers, westward expansion, the overtaking of empires.
- Billboard – “If you’ve got something important to say, say it BIG. Billboardize your message and a fabulous photo!”
- Captioner – Interesting to see if they really understand a character.
There are many more “toys” on this site. I’m sure there are a lot of other ideas which I would love to hear about. Let me know what you think and what you would do with these various tools at Big Huge Labs.
Terri Brines is an instructional specialist with the eMINTS National Center.